Sunday

How to sell yourself in 75 characters or less

Since you are reading this I can only assume that you are a thoroughly modern person. Tweeting is old news to you. Your attention span is 21st century short, 140 characters almost too long.

Thankfully the abbreviated is now being abbreviated. 75 is the new 140. I know this because Charlie Sheen told me.

Like most people I started following Charlie on Twitter after his interview on Good Morning America in February. My logic was, anyone who can respond to a question on whether they have Bi-polar by saying “I’m Bi-winning” deserves to be followed. The man invented a word.

Last week he sent out a tweet advertising an internship. Charlie would like a personal assistant. The task is simple, complete the following sentence in 75 characters or less; “I'd be a good Social Media Intern because…”

Here is my Guide to Charlie Sheen’s Ad:

(You should know upfront I have no credentials for this other than being thoroughly versed in Twitter and having access to Microsoft Word)

1. Always read the advert.

Since Charlie used Twitter this won’t take long.

“I'm looking to hire a #winning INTERN with #TigerBlood. Apply here – http://bit.ly/hykQQF #TigerBloodIntern #internship #ad.”

Look up anything you don’t understand and ignore the hashes, everyone else does.

2. Read the list of responsibilities

“To work closely with Charlie Sheen.”

This is a yes or no question.

3. What skills does the job require?

“Do you have #TigerBlood? Are you all about #Winning?”

Another easy one, either you have Tiger Blood or you don’t. Relevant experience is probably not an issue here.

4. Fill in the required information.

If you have any special skills now would be the time to mention them. Better still, discover one especially for the purpose of the application, Charlie would like that.

It’s important to think about your target audience here. Something that would excite Charlie may be off putting to Donald Trump.

Being concise is desirable. Although it would take real talent not to be concise in 75 characters, that in itself could be seen as a skill.

5. Read the terms and conditions.

The terms and conditions for this internship are what I would describe as comprehensive. That’s 6201 words of comprehensive. I know this because I copied and pasted the text into a word document.

Most people would describe my actions as efficient; if you read the copy this is another requirement of the job.

6. Get someone to check your spelling

It’s only 75 characters so I would suggest tweeting your friends.

7. Check yourself

Before you send in any application form ask yourself if you really want the position.

Do you think your life experience is worth 75 characters or more? If you are considering the internship you aren’t the only one. To date 74,040 people have applied to Charlie’s ad from 181 countries worldwide. Apparently having an unstable boss is the new Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment