Sunday

The Weekend




Over the holidays we were set a research question - to choose a publication and interrogate it using a particular methodology.

I chose to look at 'psychogeography'. My favourite explanation of this is:
"a whole toy box full of playful, inventive strategies for exploring cities...just about anything that takes pedestrians off their predictable paths and jolts them into a new awareness of the urban landscape."
My chosen magazine was The Weekend magazine (The Guardian supplement on a Saturday). I wanted to explore the geography of the magazine, how do people navigate through the pages?

As a weekly publication people tend to have a particular method to reading it. I asked readers to 'tag' their journey and write any notes about how they look at the page. eg. noticing the same woman every time, or right hand column first, for example.

I always start off reading The Weekend like this: 1st.Q&A page 2nd.Experience page 3rd.Flick through features, possible intent to come back 4th. The Measure column 5th. How to dress -female, never read the male 6th. What I see in the mirror column...etc.etc.

I hardly read any of the actual magazine.
I navigate it by certain monuments.

Just like wandering around a city, I have a set path that I follow.

It's my personal geography.

I'm writing about this and more in an essay right now. Well, not right this second.


No comments:

Post a Comment